The European FluoroCarbons Technical Committee is a Cefic Sector Group. Its main objectives are to provide up to date information about applications, safety, health and environmental effects for HFCs (hydrofluorocarbons), HFOs (hydrofluoro-olefins), HCFOs (hydrochlorofluoro-olefins) and the relevant European and international legislation. The main applications of the fluorocarbons are as refrigerants, blowing agents for insulation plastic foams, working fluids for Organic Rankine Cycle systems, fire extinguishants and propellants for metered dose inhalers (MDIs) and technical aerosols, solvents and feedstocks. The Sector Group also provides information about HCFCs (hydrochlorofluorocarbons), which are classified as ozone depleting substances and have been phased out in Europe except for use as feedstocks.
EFCTC Members produce and supply HFCs, HFOs and HCFOs and have developed a range of lower GWP refrigerant blends that rely on these substances.
- Provide up to date information about applications
- Provide information on environmental effects, including climate change, ozone depletion and atmospheric breakdown products
- Follow discussions concerning the Montreal Protocol and the Kigali Amendment on HFCs
- Follow and provide information for any changes in EU legislation for ozone depleting
- Follow discussions concerning ozone depletion
- Follow the climate change discussions
- Organise, where appropriate, meetings with users and the EU authorities
- Attempt to maintain the competitiveness of EU industry through balanced legislation
- Help ensure correct and effective implementation of current legislation in all Member States
- Prepare Risk Assessments of fluorocarbons together with the EU authorities and the OECD, where appropriate
- Contribute to the review of toxicological and ecotoxicological data for some fluorocarbons
- Provide information and links for REACH and fluorocarbons
- Promote the correct use of fluorocarbons all along the chain, including recycling.