Fluorocarbons & Sulphur Hexafluoride: About EFCTC
Fluorocarbons are used as feedstocks, as refrigerants, as solvents and as blowing agents for insulation plastic foams. The Sector Group’s main objective is to monitor the constantly changing legislation related to HFCs (hydrofluorocarbons), PFCs (perfluorinated carbons) and SF6 (sulphur hexafluoride), CFCs (chlorofluorocarbons), HCFCs (hydrochlorofluorocarbons), in the EU and at global level.
- Follow the changes in the proposed EU legislation
- Follow discussions concerning ozone depletion and the Montreal Protocol
- Follow the climate change discussions and the developments of the Kyoto Protocol
- Organise meetings with users and the EU authorities
- Attempt to maintain the competitiveness of EU industry through balanced legislation
- Ensure correct and effective implementation of current legislation in all Member States
- Prepare Risk Assessments of fluorocarbons together with the EU authorities and the OECD, where appropriate
- Contribute to the review of toxicological and ecotoxicological data for some fluorocarbons
- Ensure REACH understanding and application for registration of fluorocarbons
- Promote the correct use of fluorocarbons all along the chain, including recycling.
EFCTC brings together fluorocarbon producers in Western Europe under the umbrella of Cefic.